SHORTLIST OF INDEPENDENT RESTAURANTS WILL GET THREE CHANCES TO BOOST THEIR BUSINESS WITH A BESPOKE MAKEOVER PAID BY DELIVEROO
London, July 25 - Deliveroo has today unveiled the restaurants who are in the running to nab a makeover of their premises and/or equipment worth a whopping £25,000. Over 500 restaurants across the UK applied with a panel of external judges whittling down the applications to a shortlist of 6 from around the country. Deliveroo is now calling on Brits to help make the final decision, giving food fans across Britain the power to vote for the restaurant they believe should win the restaurant makeover competition.
Deliveroo's Restaurant Makeover project was launched to support independent restaurants and the Great British highstreet. Since it launched in 2013 Deliveroo has created a staggering 25,000 jobs in the UK restaurant industry, with 32% of these jobs being in the independent sector*.
Restaurants up for a chance to claim a makeover include:
- Amigos Mexican Kitchen, Sheffield: Open since 2010 and run by Khalid Wani and his business partner, Amigos is an award-winning restaurant that specialises in halal Mexican street food. If they win, they want a new dessert bar which would be a great addition to the restaurant.
- Bombay Bites, Leicester: Owned by Moukid Muslim and his family, award-winning Bombay Bites is super popular with the students in the city. If they win, want to adapt the site and make it more family and disabled friendly, in addition to updating the menu to help attract new customers.
- Cafe Santos, Wigan: Owned by Ash and his wife and established in 2010, this cafe is the heart of the local community. Customers say they offer brilliant food and the "best coffee in the country". If they win the makeover they want to have a new counter, tables and chairs.
- Surbiton Fish and Chips: Owned by Xiaoniu Yuan (known locally as 'Hank'). The restaurant has been open since 1984 - the oldest, established fish and chips shop in Kingston-upon-Thames. If they win, they want to give half the money to schools in the local community, the other half to change the tables in the restaurant.
- Mario's Plaice, Glasgow: Three generations of the same family run this fish and chips shop, serving the community in the west end of Glasgow. They offer classics in addition to battered Mars bars and battered pizza. If they win, they will be installing a new fish fryer, to make food prep and deliveries quicker, resulting in more customers.
- Le Tran Cafe, London: A family-owned restaurant specialising in traditional Vietnamese and Asian cuisine in the heart of Bermondsey. If they win, they want new equipment to grill food, and also a new front entrance/sliding door to increase the atmosphere and be better disabled and elderly-friendly.
Justin Landsberger, Commercial Director at Deliveroo said "We're really excited to launch this competition and give independent restaurants around the UK the chance to win an exciting £25,000 makeover project. The shortlist includes six incredible restaurants with amazing stories and we're looking forward to seeing who our customers vote to win."
Brits just need to visit deliveroorestaurantmakeovers.co.uk before August 9th to cast their votes.
Deliveroo's contribution to the restaurant industry and wider economy in the UK is mirrored in its overseas markets. If Deliveroo continues to grow at the same rate, Capital Economics estimate that the company will create over 176,000 jobs in the restaurant sectors in the markets in which it operates.
Deliveroo is committed to helping restaurants succeed. Whilst the industry is facing increasing cost pressures, Deliveroo is supporting them by not only helping them increase their revenue, including through the company's delivery-only Editions kitchens programme, creating 'virtual brands' so restaurants can expand their menus, and also by negotiating deals with a range of providers to reduce their day-to-day costs such as energy bills and kitchenware.
For more information please contact Deliveroo's PR team [email protected]
Deliveroo is an award-winning delivery service founded in 2013 by William Shu and Greg Orlowski. Deliveroo works with over 80,000 best-loved restaurants and takeaways, as well as 60,000 riders to provide the best food delivery experience in the world. Deliveroo is headquartered in London, with 2,500 employees in offices around the globe.
Deliveroo operates in over 500 towns and cities across 14 markets, including Australia, Belgium, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and the United Kingdom.
- *Data sourced from Capital Economics Report published in May 2019