- Deliveroo and Missing People join forces to reunite families in time for Mother's Day 2020
- 500 Deliveroo rider backpacks will feature faces and appeal details of missing people across Birmingham, Brighton, Cardiff, London and Manchester
- 2018's partnership between Deliveroo and Missing People helped find five people
- Over 30,000 Deliveroo riders will be encouraged to sign up to receive Missing People's Child Rescue text alerts to notify them when a child in their area disappears
February 2020: Deliveroo will work with 500 riders across five cities nationwide during the lead up to Mother's Day in partnership with Missing People, the UK's only charity dedicated to the search for missing people nationally.
After the success of finding five missing people during the Ride to Find campaign in winter 2018, Deliveroo is increasing the number of locations across the UK in a bid to reunite families in time for Mother's Day.
Beginning on Friday 28th February in Manchester, Deliveroo will be visiting each designated city (Birmingham, Brighton, Cardiff, London and Manchester) to meet riders and supply them with material that will enable them to raise awareness; by featuring the faces of missing people on their backpacks. Deliveroo's riders will be deployed in areas close to the last known sighting of the missing people they are showcasing on their backpacks.
Someone is reported missing every 90 seconds in the UK. 80% are found within 24 hours but one in five cases takes longer. If someone goes missing for more than a week, their chances of being found reduces dramatically. For these people, every second counts and the more people who see pictures of the missing person, the greater the chance that they are found. Together, Missing People and Deliveroo will raise awareness of vulnerable missing people, encouraging communities to join the search and bring people to safety.
To further increase the force of the search, every single rider in Deliveroo's 30,000+ fleet will be encouraged by the company to sign up to receive Missing People's Child Rescue text alerts, which notify people whenever a child in their area disappears making this the charity's largest direct marketing campaign to help find missing children to date.
Missing People provides free and confidential support by phone, text or email 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to anyone affected by a disappearance. As a charity, Missing People is reliant on donations to provide this support. To help raise donations, Deliveroo has specially designed a Missing People donation restaurant within its app, named 'Ride to Find' where customers can choose to donate from £3.50 to £1,000.
Will Shu, CEO and Deliveroo's first ever rider said: "Working with Missing People in 2018 is something we are genuinely proud of at Deliveroo. It also, very quickly, became clear that this partnership was something riders felt very passionate about being part of.
So, this year we are dedicated to working closer with our riders and providing more Missing People posters for them to wear.
I sincerely hope that partnering for a second time means we help to find more missing people as well as continue to raise awareness across the country."
Jo Youle, CEO at Missing People said: "We are delighted to be partnering with Deliveroo again to publicise the appeals for missing people from all around the UK. This campaign is such a brilliant way of raising awareness in local communities, both of the issues involved in missing, and the 186,000 people who go missing every year in the UK. That is one person every 90 seconds.
Missing People provides support for those who are missing, children and adults thinking of going missing and the families left behind, through our free helpline and our support services, and we also appeal for those who have disappeared.
"Last year five people featured in the Ride to Find campaign were found, which was fantastic. We are hoping that we will be even more successful this time."
If anyone has any information on any of the appeals featured in the Ride to Find campaign, they should contact Missing People anonymously by calling 116 000 or by emailing [email protected] or call the police on 101.
To make a donation to Missing People by visiting the app here: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/london/the-city/missing-people?day=today&geohash=gcpvjcj1qndn&time=ASAP
For all press enquiries email [email protected] or call Talker Tailor Trouble Maker on 020 3858 0022
NOTES TO EDITOR
- You can sign up for Missing People's Child Rescue Alerts here: https://www.childrescuealert.org.uk
- *Regional missing statistics: This is the most recent data available from the National Crime Agency's Missing Persons Data Report 2016/2017 More information can be found here:
Missing People facts and figures
- Someone is reported missing every 90 seconds in the UK
- 186,000 people are reported missing every year – 100k adults / 86k children
- Boys and men are more likely to be reported missing
- 54% of reported missing incidents for the age group 12-17 relate to girls
- 80% of children and 77% of adults are found within 24 hours
- 90% of children and 87% of adults are found within 2 days
- Mental health issues affect eight in every 10 missing adults
- Mental health, homelessness, problems at home and abuse or domestic violence are the most common issues raised in conversation with adults on the MP helpline
- Conflict, neglect, sexual exploitation, problems at home, living in care and mental health including suicide or self-harm are the most common issues raised in conversations with children contacting the MP helpline
- Information on the number of calls to police suggests there has been an increase in missing incidents
Deliveroo is an award-winning delivery service founded in 2013 by William Shu and Greg Orlowski. Deliveroo works with over 80,000 best-loved restaurants and takeaways, as well as 60,000 riders to provide the best food delivery experience in the world. Deliveroo is headquartered in London, with over 2,500 employees in offices around the globe.
Deliveroo operates in over 500 towns and cities across 13 markets, including Australia, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and the United Kingdom.
About Missing People
A person is reported missing every 90 seconds in the UK. Missing People is the only charity in the UK which is dedicated to bringing the 186,000 children and adults that go missing every year back together with their families. Some missing people you will have heard of, but many more you won't. For their families, life without them can be a desperate and unbearable struggle. We are there for them 24 hours a day, every day of the year, at the end of a phone, text or email, ready to use every means possible to search for and find their missing loved ones and to provide vital on-going support to families where the agonising wait turns into years, not just days.
You can call or text 116 000 for advice, support and options if you, or someone you love, goes missing or runs away - it's free, 24 hour and confidential. www.missingpeople.org.uk