- Deliveroo to provide 35,000 riders around the world with free insurance to protect them and their earnings if they're involved in an accident
- Riders will be automatically enrolled in the first-of-its-kind global insurance package to ensure all are covered whilst out on the road
- The market-leading insurance product includes cover for up to £7,500 of medical expenses as well as for up to 75% of average gross income
- In December, Deliveroo announced the first accident insurance available to on-demand self-employed food delivery riders in the UK, exclusive to Deliveroo riders. This has now been improved: it is available at zero cost to riders and has more generous terms, for example higher medical expenses
- This makes the British company a leader in providing on-demand riders with both the flexibility they value and the security they deserve
In a bold step that goes beyond what other companies in the on-demand economy are offering, Deliveroo has today announced that every rider will be able to benefit from an industry-leading accident insurance package for zero cost. 35,000 riders in 12 countries will be able to claim for the costs of loss of income or medical expenses if they are unable to ride as a result of an injury while working. The insurance is completely free for riders and applies to riders on all vehicle types and their substitutes.
Cyclists will have access to public liability insurance, which has unique features such as also covering a rider's substitute. The scheme will give Deliveroo cyclists up to £1 million in public liability insurance, and will also cover scooter riders whilst they are off their vehicle. In providing this insurance for free, Deliveroo is helping to protect not only riders but other road users in the event of an accident.
Deliveroo has improved its insurance for riders in the UK:
- Both third party liability and accident insurance are 100% free with zero cost to riders
- All riders will be automatically enrolled onto the personal injury cover and cyclists will be automatically enrolled on to the public liability cover, rather than having to opt in
- Both covers apply to riders' substitutes
- Medical expenses are covered up to £7500 (from £2500)
- Hospital benefit is up to £3,000 (from £1,500)
This insurance is more substantial and wide-ranging than comparable products for those working in the on-demand economy. Giving riders access to this product is expected to cost the company at the outset, almost £10 million. Deliveroo has worked with the insurance providers to help them ensure that the insurance policies meet the needs of riders who work with the company.
The availability of this new insurance cover comes after Deliveroo has said that it wants to protect the flexibility riders value while offering them more security when working. Deliveroo would like to go further and offer riders more benefits, but this runs the risk of courts reclassifying riders' employment status, which could reduce riders' ability to work flexibly. Deliveroo is campaigning for a change in the law so that riders can have both flexibility and security.
Will Shu, Deliveroo CEO and Founder:
'It's important that Deliveroo riders are protected whilst out on the road, so we're delighted that this leading insurance package will be available to all riders completely free.
'We know riders value the flexibility of being able to fit their work around their life, but they also deserve security if they're involved in an accident. This insurance gives riders security whilst they're out delivering great food and maintains the flexible work they value.
'This is just one way we are working to increase riders' security. We would like to go further, but are currently constrained by the law. Deliveroo will continue arguing for the law to be updated so on-demand companies can offer both flexibility and security.'